db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>
Subject Re: Contribution: inheritance of field, reference and collection descriptors
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:30:32 GMT
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Chris Greenlee wrote:

> A couple comments.
>
> --- Armin Waibel <arminw@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, or we read the repository with a dom-parser and extract the nodes
> > or we read the class-descriptors via xpath (allows to recursive read of
> > super classes) - but both possibilities require a rewriting of the
> > Repository reading stuff.
> >

> The only problem with this scenario is for large projects with large
> repository files.  Using a dom parser dramatically increases the memory
> requirements and parse time of the repository file.

Well, dom parsers have no problems with XML files up to several
megabytes. This would correspond to very large repository descriptors !
Also, tools like dom4j work with SAX so there is no DOM overhead.

> Also, am I missing something, or does the ojb-xdoclet module already support
> this behavior?  Is there a reason why support for this can't be left up to
> supplementary tools like xdoclet?

Yes, but this is no runtime option. Having inheritance support would allow
for smaller (and more OO) repository descriptors which thus can be parsed
faster.
And not everybody can use the XDoclet module (it requires to be able to
modify the business objects).

Tom