db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>
Subject Re: full OQL 3.0 parser for java?
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2004 18:52:29 GMT
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Phil Warrick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I came across this ?antlr-type? tool that can generate various parsers
> in java:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/sablecc
>
> including one for OQL 3.0
>
> Has anyone considered this tool for ojb?  I cannot vouch for it's
> quality, but the New Zealand researchers who created it claim 'full'
> support of OQL 3.0:
>
> http://nzdis.otago.ac.nz/resources/allprojects.xml
>
> I'm of the opinion that nothing comes close to a good _complete_ OO
> querying solution than OQL at the moment, especially for complex OO
> models.  I know it would require a push in the development of the PB
> query api, but that would be a good thing, no?
>
> I admit that I was a little inspired by the wiki ojb 1.1 request for
> more OQL support -- i.e. I wasn't the author :)

That was me :-)

There is no need to switch the parser generator for two reasons:

* Antlr is a fine tool with a good community. Not that SableCC is bad -
honestly I don't know much about SableCC, for all I know it is a fine tool
too.

* The missing support for full OQL 3 is not due to the parser generator,
but to the grammar version (and perhaps the runtime support) used
by OJB. In fact, the ODMG provides a full OQL 3 core grammar (with all
expressions and constructs). That's why I wrote the request for OJB 1.1.

Tom