db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Waibel <arm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Contribution: inheritance of field, reference and collection descriptors
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 14:29:53 GMT
Hi Chris,

Chris Greenlee wrote:

> A couple comments.
>
> --- Armin Waibel <arminw@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>Yes, or we read the repository with a dom-parser and extract the nodes
>>or we read the class-descriptors via xpath (allows to recursive read of
>>super classes) - but both possibilities require a rewriting of the
>>Repository reading stuff.
>>

> The only problem with this scenario is for large projects with large
> repository files.  Using a dom parser dramatically increases the memory
> requirements and parse time of the repository file.

Agree using a dom- instead of sax-parser has a few drawbacks. I would
prefer a using xpath or as mentioned by Luis recalculate the
dependencies after read of the repository OJB internal.

> Also, am I missing something, or does the ojb-xdoclet module already support
> this behavior?

Sorry, I don't know this.

> Is there a reason why support for this can't be left up to
> supplementary tools like xdoclet?

In my opinion it will be better to enable OJB to handle these
convenience features, because we can't expect that each tool will
support this.

regards,
Armin