db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>
Subject Re: New auto-xxx handling
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:10:12 GMT
On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Armin Waibel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I checked in the new auto-update/-delete stuff. This should be 100%
> backward compatible with the old stuff.
>
> auto-update/-delete now support the following values
> none, link, object, false, true
>
> BrokerHelper has new methods used to handle the new 'none' setting.
> These methods allow to assign/remove the FK in the referenced objects.
>
> public void link(Object obj, boolean insert)
> public boolean link(Object obj, String attributeName, boolean insert)
> public void unlink(Object obj)
> public boolean unlink(Object obj, String attributeName)
>
> I added new test cases to check the new settings:
> ...broker.CollectionTest2
> ...broker.M2NTest
> It is not possible to test all combinations of auto-xxx settings. If you
> miss some, please enhance these new tests. We need an similar test for
> 1:1 relations too.
>
> More details can be found in the "auto-xxx setting (PART II)" thread on
> dev-list and in near future in documentation (will start with this work
> today).

I just had to use the new documentation (looking up how manually retrieve
a reference), and I must say, great doc !

One minor thing though: the advanced o/r page is too long now IMO, perhaps
we should break it into smaller parts:

 * associations/collections/auto-xxx/cascading
 * inheritance and nesting
(these two are not exactly part of advanced o/r :)
 * proxying
 * misc (row-readers, callbacks, customized queries)

Tom