db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>
Subject Licensing issues ahead ? [Was: Clarifying some licensing issues for Apache developers]
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 22:46:00 GMT
As you'll undoubtly have read there are some ramifications because of the
new license scheme. One should be of special interest to us (and other
apache projects):

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> *) Only software packages created by the Apache Software Foundation may be
> redistributed from Apache's servers and mirrors.  This means no tarballs
> or binaries from other authors or organizations.  We realize that many ASF
> projects depend upon other software, and that these dependencies may make
> it difficult for new users to bootstrap quickly.  There are solutions to
> that problem outside of the ASF: ibiblio, sourceforge, CPAN, etc.  The
> board might grant exceptions to this rule - bring it to us if you'd like
> us to consider it.

If I read that right, this in essence mean that we must remove all jars
(and accompanying stuff like docs etc.) that are not under the Apache
license ?! A quick look at the libs and src directory showed several such
spots: xdoclet (BSD), antlr (public domain), p6spy (apache-derived but
not from the ASF), the oql grammar.
An even larger problem might arise to the majority of the apache projects
as the xml-apis.jar contains stuff in the public domain (sax2) and under
the W3C license (dom).

Tom