db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>
Subject Re: checkstyle for ojb ?
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:00:29 GMT
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Jakob Braeuchi wrote:

> there are several plugins for checkstyle. i use
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/eclipse-cs which runs inside eclipse m7.

That's the one I tried. It died on me with an out-of-memory error (not
Javas/Eclipses fault with 1gig of memory). I guess this is not a big
issue, though, as we'd probably use it with an ant task.

> imo we should not be too rigid about code-formatting (it ends up in religious
> discussions about where to put the braces ;) ) but we should enable checking of
> unused imports, unused variables and the like.

I agree, though there are some code formatting issues that are important
to error prevention IMO, e.g. always using braces in if-statements
etc. For these things there should be rules.
As Antonio said, some of these things are checked by Eclipse (e.g. unused
imports, unused variables in M7 ?).
What I think is even more important is adding source documentation (and
keeping it consistent with the source) and removing duplicate code and the
like because an unused import doesn't hurt (it's unlikely at
least) whereas code duplication does hurt (when one instance has to be
changed ...).

Tom