db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Francesco Russo <f.ru...@cineca.it>
Subject OJB with distributed tx and BMT
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:48:42 GMT
Hi everybody,
I was wondering whether OJB could be used in a managed enviroinment with
distributed BMTs (Bean Managed Transactions) or not. In order to find an
answer to my doubts, I downloaded the srcs and started to look for some
useful clues and I didn't find anything stating the above scenario can
be implemented, rather a hint that made me think it was not yet
implemented (but planned for the future?).

That's what I found:
since, if I am not wrong, it is required to acquire a ManagedConnection
from the Application Server implementation of the
javax.resource.spi.ConnectionManager via a call to the
allocateConnection(..., ...) method, I have searched for this call in
the OJB srcs. As a result I got that the above call is issued only in
two classes:

1. org.apache.ojb.otm.connector.JCAKit
2. org.apache.ojb.otm.connector.OTMConnectionManager

The former class calls the allocateConnection method over the latter
one, so this entails that OJB provdes its own implementation of the
javax.resource.spi.ConnectionManager, behaviour that is common to all
those cases in which the application is outside a managed environment.

Question 1: why not relaying on the Application Server implementation of
the ConnectionManager?

Furtheron, the javax.resource.spi.ManagedConnection returned as an
org.apache.ojb.otm.connector.OTMJCAManagedConnection does not support
the getXAResource() method, which is needed for enlisting the
connections currently used by an application into the transactional
context handled by the external TransactionManager according to the
XOpen/XA Specification.

As I stated before, all these things made me think it is not possible to
use BMTs along with OJB in managed environmet with distributed
transaction, but possibily I'm just missing something, that's why I'm
asking your help.

Any comments are appreciated

Francesco Russo
DLAB - Datawarehouse Laboratory
CINECA - Interuniversitary Computing Centre
via Magnanelli, 6/3
40033 Casalecchio di Reno (Bologna) - ITALY
e-mail: f.russo@cineca.it