db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Waibel <arm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PersistentFields per class descriptors. was [RFC] Using java.lang.reflect.Proxy
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:46:24 GMT
Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Armin Waibel wrote:
>

>>yep, in OJB.properties the path to the repository file was specified
>>(maybe we should change this in 1.1) and many default/standard classes
>>(e.g. PersistentFieldClass) are defined. I like this, because it
>>prevents us to define default implementation classes in source code,
>>respectively allow us to change these classes.
>

> I agree when we're starting OJB normally (e.g. obtaining a persistence
> broker or whatever), but this IMO should not be necessary when using
> metadata only ?

The problem is that the metadata classes aren't only simple java bean
style classes (only getter/setter for properties), rather we implement
much application logic in these classes, thus we need some classes set
in OJB.properties.
I agree it would be a better design when metadata handling will be
decoupled from OJB.properties file. How should we do that? Do we need a
FieldDescriptorBean (encapsulates metadata properties only) and
FieldDescriptor (application logic) class?

>>I think it's decoupled. At least I assert this behaviour in these
>>uncomplete doc ;-)
>>http://db.apache.org/ojb/metadata.html
>>
>>You can load connection metadata different from persistent object
>>metadata and vice versa. In object metadata no connection specific stuff
>>is used.
>

> If it is, all the better (don't remember about the connection
> descriptor). I'll check. As I said, I can also write some tests later on
> if required.

Starting with an "empty repository" file works for me.

>>Great! April is ok, at that time 1.0 should be released ;-)
>>(dom4j licence?)
>

> Dom4j is BSD-style.

I don't know if it is allowed to ship OJB with BSD-style licence jars.
Why you want to use dom4j - dom-parser or sax+xpath to map metadata?

regards,
Armin