db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Waibel <arm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PersistentFields per class descriptors. was [RFC] Using java.lang.reflect.Proxy
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:11:45 GMT
Hi again Tom,

Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Armin Waibel wrote:
>

>>hmm, ok so we need both possibilities to define PersistentFieldClass
>>attribute filed- and class-descriptor level
>>and I fear the worst you want this feature for 1.0 ;-)
>

> Nope, for 1.1 is enough, I think. The workaround using the field handler
> that Brian mentioned should do for the 1.0, though there should be some
> note of it in the docs.

puh! For 1.1 I will agree all proposals ;-)

>>do we need this? One reason is that we do not separate metadata
>>properties and functionality/service methods in metadata classes.
>

> I had one application where I simply wanted to manipulate the metadata
> without doing any database-related stuff. However, currently OJB requires
> me to provide OJB.properties

yep, in OJB.properties the path to the repository file was specified
(maybe we should change this in 1.1) and many default/standard classes
(e.g. PersistentFieldClass) are defined. I like this, because it
prevents us to define default implementation classes in source code,
respectively allow us to change these classes.

>, and a connection descriptor (I may be
> mistaken about that one) when using the metadata even though they are not
> actually needed by the metadata stuff.

I must confess that I'm not sure about connection-descriptor too (it was
possible in the past). But I think if you access metadata via
MetadataManager it should be possible. If not, you found a bug.

http://db.apache.org/ojb/faq.html#Start OJB without a repository file?

> I strongly believe that metadata handling and database stuff should be as
> decoupled as possible, in extreme with using interfaces (facade) which are
> backed by XML i/o (as we have it now) or other stuff, e.g. database (->
> MOF ?), Language-supported metadata (JSR 175) etc.

I think it's decoupled. At least I assert this behaviour in these
uncomplete doc ;-)
http://db.apache.org/ojb/metadata.html

You can load connection metadata different from persistent object
metadata and vice versa. In object metadata no connection specific stuff
is used.

>>I think this is really important for 1.0.
>>All these known issues should be noted in the release-notes.
>>Can you list the (most important) properties of class-/field-descriptor
>>who don't support runtime changes?
>

> I believe there were some mails on the lists. I can have a look and
> summarize them.

This will be great!

>>I agree. But what are the alternatives and who will be willing to do
>>this changeover?
>

> I'd be willing to rework the XML parsing part (using dom4j or the like
> ?) but not before April (too much regular work and deadlines too near).

Great! April is ok, at that time 1.0 should be released ;-)
(dom4j licence?)

regards,
Armin