db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Waibel <arm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: auto-XXX setting (PART II)
Date Sat, 13 Mar 2004 01:39:12 GMT
Hi again,

Peter Wieland wrote:
> In my opinion, OJBs main benefit is that it serves as an abstraction layer
> taking away from the application programmer the necessity to rack one's
> brain about all the database concepts. I argue that filling m:n implementors
> manually has nothing to do with the object oriented view OJB makes available
> but is purely due to dbms architecture.

I agree, calling an additional method
broker....assignMtoNIndirectionTable(A, bListAttribute)
on insert smells like vulgar DB handling ;-)
but I don't know an better alternative (beside current behaviour) and
it's only needed on insert.

> I think the separation of the dbms
> layer and the object oriented view is a key feature of OJB. Inserting m:n
> implementors manually obviously breaks this separation.
>
> As far as the confusion about the auto-update behaviour is concerned, I
> think one reason is that two things were mixed up. Auto-updating references
> is not the same thing than auto-updating the referenced object (at least
> from the object oriented point of view).

agree, we don't differ these things. But is it really possible to handle
these things in different ways when auto-update is true?
When using m:n relation I can differ in update indirection table and in
update n-side objects, but how should OJB handle these things without an
additional auto-XXX attribute?

> The proposed solution consits in
> either doing both or none of these operations. This certainly clarifies
> things, but I feel that the cost for this clarifications is decreasing
> flexebility.

What will be your "perfect world" behaviour of m:n relation auto-XXX
attributes?

> I don't know whether the dev-list is the right place for such "philosophic"
> discussions, but I think this is really important.

Better place to do this ;-)

regards,
Armin