db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Jakob Braeuchi <jbraeu...@gmx.ch>
Subject Re: auto-XXX setting (PART II)
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:47:22 GMT
hi peter,

Peter Wieland wrote:
> Hi Armin, Jakob and the others,
>
> thanks for your mail Armin, The auto-XXX attributes become very clear in
> your proposals.
>
> But I'm not sure whether this is really what we need. My skepticism is
> espacially related to the auto-update behaviour you propose for m:n
> relations.
>
> I'm not sure whether it is really a good idea to leave it to the application
> programmer to store indirection table entries. While in some cases using
> auto-update="true" would be an acceptable solution, I don't think that it is
> always the desired behaviour. I think the possibility to just update the
> references, i.e. the entries in the indirection table, would be a good
> thing.

the problem here is referential integrity. if you define constraints on the
indirection table (what you should do), then you can not insert rows without
having the correspondent rows in m- and n-table.

> Another argument supporting this request is that from an application
> programmers point of view, there is no difference in storing the n side of a
> 1:n relation or storing one side of a m:n relation. Hence I think we should
> not require special treatment for m:n relations with auto-update="false".

in a perfect world this would be true ;) in case you live in a not so perfect
world, you either have to use auto-update=true or insert the mn-implementors
manually...

jakob