db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Waibel <arm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: auto-XXX setting confusion
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:08:46 GMT

Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Armin Waibel wrote:
>

>>recently several posts on the user-list discuss the behaviour of the
>>auto-XXX setting (especially auto-update 'true/false' for m:n relations)
>>- what should be the expected behaviour?
>>The most confusing attribute is auto-update. Here my thoughts about
>>auto-update false setting (on PB-level).
>

> As a side-note, IMO we should also do something about their usage in
> ODMG/OTM/JDO. I think it would be better to ignore the auto-update and
> auto-delete settings in theses modes (according to DTD they are expected
> to have the value 'false') since having a 'true' value leads to confusing
> behavior of OJB (double inserts and the like).

agree with you! For 1.1 I would propose to allow overriding metadata
settings at runtime, e.g.

broker.store(Object obj, CascadeDescriptor cd)

and the CascadeDescriptor encapsulates auto-XXX setting for the passed
object. If an auto-XXX setting was enabled (true/false) it override
setting in metadata.
This will allow top-level api to realize auto-XXX setting rules and make
PB-api more flexible.

regards,
Armin