db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mahler <thm...@web.de>
Subject Re: JDO, was 1.0 final release
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:17:44 GMT
Hi all,

Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Brian McCallister wrote:
>

>>What *are* people's thoughts on this? I heard support for the JDO-lite,
>>but putting effort into JDO-lite instead of JDO is a serious question.
>

> I would vote for a complete implementation of JDO,

I'm also voting for a full implementation. But a "Lite" implementation
could be a start.

> but I wonder whether
> there is need for YAOSJI (yet another open source JDO implementation).

I generally agree with you. That's the way my JDORI plugin works. It's a
very clean separation of concerns.

> There at least four that I know of:
>
> http://jpox.sourceforge.net/
> http://xorm.sourceforge.net/
> http://speedo.objectweb.org/
> http://tjdo.sourceforge.net/
>
> Wouldn't it be more useful to approach one of them and propose an
> adaptation of their framework so that it uses OJB (AFAIK tjdo has an
> Apache License which would ease things) ?

I digged into some of those tool sime time ago, to see if there was a
chance of integration.
As of now I did not find a tool that would integrate easily with OJB.

- most tools don't have a clear separation beetwen object transaction
layer and o/r mapping engine. so integration won't be as easy as with
the JDORI.
- some of them provide limited functionality and are not JDO compliant
(and can't be made so without major redesign)
- I found some problematic source code which looked like verbatim copies
from the JDORI, which would cause us a lot of problems...

If there was an easy way, I'd be happy to go it!

cheers,
Thomas