db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Forkalsrud <e...@cj.com>
Subject Re: API changes in Criteria before Release 1.0
Date Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:39:42 GMT

I don't consider myself an OJB developer, so feel free to ignore this,
but I must say that I disagree with the reasoning here.

If the 1.0 release is going to mean anything at all, I would expect it
to mean API stability, so all API changes like this should go in before
1.0 final, or wait until 2.0.  If I build an application that uses OJB
1.0, any user of that application shouldn't need to worry about
upgrading to OJB 1.0.1 or 1.1, to take advantage of bugfixes or
performance improvements.  But if my application uses a method that is
in 1.0, and that method has disappeared in 1.1, the user ends up with a
broken system.  Such breakage should only happen at major version
upgrades.  0.99 -> 1.0 is major, but 1.0 -> 1.0.1 is not.

Erik Forkalsrud
erik@cj.com