db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Gus Heck <gus.h...@olin.edu>
Subject Re: Progress on MetaDataManager bug?
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 05:13:52 GMT
I appologize. Clearly I was unclear :). That code is not in OJB. It is
my code. and to me it doesn't matter if I use

JdbcConnectionDescriptor descriptor = cRepos.getDescriptor(new
PBKey("myCon", "foo", "bar"));

or

JdbcConnectionDescriptor descriptor = cRepos.getDescriptor(new
PBKey("myCon"));
descriptor.setUserName("foo");
descriptor.setPassWord("bar");

Both are undesireable; "foo" and "bar" have to be coded in somewhere or
passed in as sysproperties or whatnot when this information is already
defined elswhere. In my code this connection is the ONLY place I break
the JDO api and grab a real database connection. I do it at program load
time to take advantage of the commons-sql alter code in setting up the
database. So the issue is I would like to be able to get a connection
without duplicating the username and password information in the code,
or in sysprops etc. OJB already has the username and password, because
JDO works just fine without any of the code above if the database tables
are done by hand or by Ant. So my problem is that OJB has the user name
and password, but I can't seem to get them, or a connection that already
knows them. This is really about the DRY principal :).

I half suspect that I am simply going about this wrong and the solution
exists elswhere...

-Gus