db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <mccallis...@forthillcompany.com>
Subject Re: Staring the maintenance branch
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:16:46 GMT
I can handle making the branch if no one else (with more seniority ;-)
wants to or is comfortable doing so.

I would definitely make branches via the command line -- though I have
no idea what Eclipse's support for CVS is so who knows, maybe they do
make it very easy.

In general, the best reference for CVS is the "Cederqvist" at
http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/

Creating a branch is described at:

http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.10/cvs_5.html#SEC56

Notably branches are made from the working copy - what you have checked
out, NOT what is in HEAD.

Once the branch is made i suggest keeping both branches checked out
separately. To checkout a branch use:

cvs co -r RELEASE_1_0 db-ojb

Once it is checked out to the branch you no longer need to worry about
it unless you force a revision, merge, etc. CVS uses its metadata in
the filesystem to track the proper place to check things back into etc.

-Brian