db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kalén <martin.ka...@curalia.se>
Subject Re: [OJB] Issue #OJB227 - Patch to allow access to DBCP underlying connections
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:48:04 GMT
Greetings developers,

> Issue ID
>  OJB227 (Patch to allow access to DBCP underlying connections)

Sorry for sneaking in a reactivation of the "database-repository"
element in repository.dtd with this patch - please split the patch if
this is reason not to commit the changes for DBCP.

Why I "threw in" the database-repository stuff as well is that we are
dependant on this for calls to:
org.apache.ojb.broker.metadata.MetadataManager#readConnectionRepository
org.apache.ojb.broker.metadata.MetadataManager#mergeConnectionRepository
in our use of OJB per-thread-profiles.

I would desperately like _not_ to see this support go away in the
upcoming 1.0 release. :-)

Running "ant clean junit" gives regression test failures. Since Armin
Waibel noted that there are some current failures beeing worked on at
the moment and my own observation that these failures were the same
before and after applying patch OJB227, I assume that the patch does not
cause additional failures. The patch should be transparent since the
default setting of access-to-underlying-connection="false".

About the DBCP-stuff in general; a lot of warnings about deprecated
abandoned connection stuff come from here. Abandoned connection handling
is about the only reason why we want DBCP in favor of the
ConnectionFactoryPooledImpl in OJB. While i was at it with the
ConnectionFactoryDBCPImpl, I searched the latest DBCP JavaDocs for
replacements but all I could find was "Deprecated. This will be removed
in a future version of DBCP." which sounded pretty scary...

On the other hand, a mail posted on 3 Oct 2003 to commons-user says:
"From: Dirk Verbeeck
[...]
Daryl Stultz wrote:
[...]
 > I've got the 1.1 RC and AbandondedConfig is deprecated (what is the
 > alternative?).
The feature will probably remain in future releases but the
implementation may be refactored if needed.
But it is safe to use."

So I take it that as far as OJB and ConnectionFactoryDBCPImpl are
concered it is safe to use... I should probably elaborate on this on
commons-user (if I had a bit more time!), but at least you know now why
I didn't do anything about all those deprecated features beeing used in
ConnectionFactoryDBCPImpl.

Cheers,
  Martin

--