db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From oliver.m...@ppi.de
Subject How to merge, was: RE: OJB maintenance branch
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:44:44 GMT
Hello,

> > From: Jakob Braeuchi [mailto:jbraeuchi@gmx.ch]

> > > (1) Who is responsible to merge the bugfixes and
> > > junit tests of the maintenance (1.0.x-)branch into
> > > the (1.y-)branch? He who make the fix or some
> > > designated manager?
> >
> > the one who makes the fix

one more point:

Basically, there are two ways to merge the fixes from
the 1.0.x-branch into the trunc:

1. Manually
2. Using CVS' merging facility.

When we use the first way, it will be difficult to
make sure that every bugfix gets merged.
Besides, it means extra effort for each bugfix.
So this policy requires a lot of effort
and also dicipline from the developers.
On the plus side, we can decide which bugfixes
go into the trunc and which don't.

If we prefer to use CVS' merging facility,
then it makes more sense to merge several
modifications each time.  If every developer
has to do it for each single bugfix, this
means a singificant overhead.

I suggest to use CVS' merging facility at
the beginning and then later (when the two
codestreams have drifted apart) merge
manually.  Until then we might do merges
regularly.

Olli