db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <mccallis...@forthillcompany.com>
Subject XDoclet Module (and other tools)
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:03:51 GMT
I have been in discussion with Thomas Dudziak (OJB XDoclet module
developer), Erik Hatcher (XDoclet (and Ant)), and Andrew Stevens
(XDoclet) trying to find a home for Thomas's work.

Erik and Andrew both feel that the best place is in the OJB repository,
or rather, outside of XDoclet as the XDoclet team is apparently trying
to push all the "included" modules out and get the various vendors to
maintain them directly. Andrew indicated that he would be willing to
check it in for the 1.X branch, but that the 1.X branch isn't going to
be around past the next release -- and for 2.0 they are apparently
trying to push the vendor specific (which OJB falls under) modules back
out to the vendors to maintain and only include core stuff (generic
EJB, servlet, etc, I imagine) in their repository.

Right now we are keeping a jar in the contrib project of our cvs
repository -- I would like to find a place to put the source under CVS
as well. I think that helping keep tool support up to date and easily
available is important for OJB's larger acceptance, so we should think
about this some.

As the number of tools in the OJB repository is growing I think it
might be good to consider their appropriate homes. This includes the
reversedb, xdoclet module, middlegen module, etc.

So, some options that I see:

1) Create a tools CVS module under OJB and give them their own build
chain(s).
2) Create an ojb-tools project analogous to velocity-tools
3) Host at java.net or SF and prominently advertise them on the OJB site

2 doesn't seem completely appropriate
1 keeps communication open and makes it easier to distribute things
en-masse
3 allows for easier licensing flexibility for things like the OSCache
ObjectCache

-Brian

PS: I use the XDoclet module at work and it is great =)