db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Waibel <ar...@code-au-lait.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Design bug fixed - check in?
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:11:22 GMT
Hi again,

Brian McCallister wrote:

>> If we don't accept these changes, the first day after 1.0
>> release we will have two completely different branches.
>>
>> For me these changes are a step forward to 1.0
>

> I would post to the -users list about this, in all seriousness. At least
> three people *just at ApacheCon* mentioned how annoying interface
> changes are in rc candidates.

Who are these guys? ;-)
Agree completely. But much more annoying is a product that
does not what you expected.

I will explain one of the superfluously (bad) methods
of SqlHelper/SqlTypeHelper more detailed

public static int getSqlTypeByValue(Object value)
{
else if (value instanceof Boolean)
         {
             return Types.BIT;
         }
If the field value is a boolean always BIT
is returned. But jdbc type BIT and BOOLEAN
can be mapped to a java boolean

else if (value instanceof byte[])
         {
             return Types.VARBINARY;
         }
But BINARY, VARBINARY, LONGVARBINARY can
be mapped to byte[]

else if (value instanceof String)
         {
             return Types.VARCHAR;
         }
But CHAR, VARCHAR, LONGVARCHAR can be mapped
to String.

So, all this metadata information is lost with current
version. I'm not a database guy, thus I don't know if
this could cause side-effects ...

> I agree that the changes should be made, and once 1.0 is out some even
> crazier changes which I am sitting on at the moment
sound auspicious ;-)

>, but I really don't
> like significant interface changes while in rc.

Are they really significant?

regards,
Armin