db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From "Reinhard Poetz" <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject RE: XDoclet Module (and other tools)
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:17:39 GMT

From: Brian McCallister

> I have been in discussion with Thomas Dudziak (OJB XDoclet module
> developer), Erik Hatcher (XDoclet (and Ant)), and Andrew Stevens
> (XDoclet) trying to find a home for Thomas's work.
>
> Erik and Andrew both feel that the best place is in the OJB
> repository,
> or rather, outside of XDoclet as the XDoclet team is
> apparently trying
> to push all the "included" modules out and get the various vendors to
> maintain them directly. Andrew indicated that he would be willing to
> check it in for the 1.X branch, but that the 1.X branch isn't
> going to
> be around past the next release -- and for 2.0 they are apparently
> trying to push the vendor specific (which OJB falls under)
> modules back
> out to the vendors to maintain and only include core stuff (generic
> EJB, servlet, etc, I imagine) in their repository.
>
> Right now we are keeping a jar in the contrib project of our cvs
> repository -- I would like to find a place to put the source
> under CVS
> as well. I think that helping keep tool support up to date and easily
> available is important for OJB's larger acceptance, so we
> should think
> about this some.
>
> As the number of tools in the OJB repository is growing I think it
> might be good to consider their appropriate homes. This includes the
> reversedb, xdoclet module, middlegen module, etc.
>
> So, some options that I see:
>
> 1) Create a tools CVS module under OJB and give them their own build
> chain(s).
> 2) Create an ojb-tools project analogous to velocity-tools
> 3) Host at java.net or SF and prominently advertise them on
> the OJB site
>
> 2 doesn't seem completely appropriate
> 1 keeps communication open and makes it easier to distribute things
> en-masse
> 3 allows for easier licensing flexibility for things like the OSCache
> ObjectCache

According to https://oscache.dev.java.net/ OSCache is licensed using the
ASL. Which kind of flexibility do you gain if the XDoclet-OJB-module is
hosted at sf.net or java.net? (Of course it would make sense if OSCache
would be under LGPL ...)

In my opinion option 1) would be the way to go from a user POV because
if I download OJB I want to get all the tools which make my life easier
and XDoclet support is such a tool! This also guarantees that OJB core
and the XDoclet module do not get out of sync.

Regards,
Reinhard