db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Waibel <ar...@code-au-lait.de>
Subject Re: OJB usability - part 1 of 5: versioning policy
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:10:02 GMT
Hi,

> But, the release notes themselves, illustrate well that OJB is, in fact,
> not a
> release candidate at all. OJB is at best still in a BETA status.
I don't agree. OJB is used in production enviroments without
problems for a long time, so I think it's more than a "beta" app.

> As a result of continual changes to the API, our development effort with
> OJB suffered from breaking code as new "release candidates" were
> delivered.
I think from rc1 to rc4 no user api changes are made. But you are right
internal changes are made.

> For example, the Metadata Manager has a new feature for handling threaded
> repositories called profiles that was introduced in rc4.
Yes and we discuss this some month ago. It's "in bad style" add new
methods to a rc, but we can't support different branches (missing
man-power)
for OJB, so bug fixing and minor improvements are made parallel.

I think OJB was stable for a 1.0 long time ago, but I hoped that we
could bring out a nearly perfect 1.0 (because we open-source and we don't
have
to meet a deadline - call it naive ;-)).

Currently Oliver Matz try to find User to split
a OJB 1.0 branch with bug fix support. See

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.ojb.user/9288/

regards,
Armin