db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From sg...@demandsolutions.com
Subject Question Regarding SQLServer 2000 Lock Timeout
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:19:44 GMT
Greetings,

   I'm currently working on a Java client/server app that supports
multiple databases. We're trying to utilize SQLServer 2000's transaction
support, and so far, it has been fighting us. SQLServer 2k has a
transaction policy of locking rows and not allowing for queries to read
the data prior to an uncommitted transaction's changes. Thus, we're
experiencing long delays when a query blocks while waiting on a long
transaction to release its row locks. SQLServer 2k's default lock timeout
is -1 (a query nevers times out when waiting on a locked row) and must be
set per connection ("Set LOCK_TIMEOUT <timeoutinmilliseconds>").

   We're currently using OJB 1.0 rc4 and have modified the source to allow
us to set the SS2k lock timeout. We've also added support for a
"lock-timeout" attribute in the jdbc-connection-descriptor tag in
repository_database.xml. For the setting of the lock timeout, I extended
the initializeJdbcConnection method in the PlatformMsSQLServerImpl to
include the above Set statement.

   Has anyone else had a problem regarding this issue before? Is there a
better way to handle this policy in SQLServer 2000? And if not, should I
submit these changes for review and possible inclusion in the next
release?  Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Scott Gelb
Software Developer