db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mahler <thm...@web.de>
Subject Re: Why no plugable IndirectionHandler?
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:11:31 GMT
Hi Andrew,

Clute, Andrew wrote:
> In my quest to implement proxies and realize the ramification of using them
> with EJB's, I have investigated what the IndirectionHandler does. I see that
> it is really a back-reference to read through the same OJB configuration and
> instantiate the object when necessary. Pretty slick.
>
> However, that doesn't work well when the client class has no idea about the
> existence of OJB.
>
> It looks to me like IndirectionHandler is a one of many specific
> implementations that could be used as the InvocationHandler for proxies.
> Another possible IndirectionHandler could be to call an EJB that will
> retrieve  that object.
>
> Is there a specific reason why the IndirectionHandler is not a configurable
> property in the OJB.properties file?

No, the only reason is that nobody requested it before!
My ideas for remote objects was always to have a complete
PersistenceBroker stub on the client (maybe based on our
PersistenceBroker EJB).

But this will work only if the client side is aware of OJB API.

If we want to support programming models where remote clients are not
aware of OJB API, your soultion is the best choice!

> If not, and it is just an over sight, I would suggest a refactoring (which I
> would be happy to perform) to allow for pluggable IndirectionHandlers to
> facilitate easier proxy handling for disparate n-tier applications.

If you write such a patch I'll review it and integrate it in our codebase!

thanks for sharing this good idea,
Thomas