db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mahler <thm...@web.de>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Infrastructure change
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:40:02 GMT
Hi Tetsuya,

Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:24:44 +0200
> Thomas Mahler <thma32@web.de> wrote:
>

>>My point is that it's not fun to switch infrastructure each week. We got
>>very bad press for the infrastructure changes for the mail-list archives
>>some month ago.
>>I'd be more than happy to not repeat this expereience.
>

> I am not an "infrastructure guy", however, could you please
> elaborate on this more? What made you feel bad about the
> mail-list archives?

 From one day to another the mail-archives were shut down without prior
information.
It took me days to get in contact to the guy in charge.
his reply was something like: I know your archives are down for a few
days. They will be down for even more days, as I'm very busy.

Of course a lot of users were complaining about being pointed to a
defunct archive from our web site.
There were comments like "if you are not even able to run a stable web
site, why should we have trust that you can develop a stable software?"

After more then six *months* (not days, not weeks) the archives suddenly
came back to life. We never were informed about their reactivation.

This story made feel bad indeed...

Thomas