db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mahler <thm...@web.de>
Subject Re: OJB usability - part 1 of 5: versioning policy
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:42:03 GMT
Hi all,

Jakob Braeuchi wrote:
> hi,
>
> i agree we definitely need a version 1.0 soon !

+1!

> i also agree that a release candidate should not add additional
> funcionality, but there are user's that claim the cannot use ojb because
> it lacks this specific sexy feature...

Absolutely right! We had the best intentions to have a feature freeze
with RC1, but there was high pressure to add more features before 1.0.
And there were also very good code contributions that we did not reject.

> while others cannot use it
> because there's no 1.0 ;)

That true again. I really do not understand this common attitude "we
can't use it because it's not 1.0".
Why? There lots of users using OJB since the it reached version 0.3.

It's good practise in the open source community to be very slowpaced
with version numberings.

In my company we are using The Heartbeat 0.4.9 and DRBD 0.6 to build
mission critical high availability clusters. We would be stupid to not
use these softwares only for having the "wrong" version number...

Thomas