db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Per-Olof Noren <pe...@alma.nu>
Subject Re: OJB usability - part 3 of 5: lack of extensibility
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:08:14 GMT
On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 20:16, Armin Waibel wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> that's something I don't understand. Why you don't send a
> patch to dev-list asking to introduce such a method when needed?

I think I can answer that out of my own experience with open source
projects in general.

During the design stage of a project, We usually evaluate any new or to
us unknown software that is to be part of the total solution. During
this evaluation, we often tend to "test-implement" the solution. We do
this so that we get a rough idea what effort it will take to use it in
our solution. During this stage we usually find strange things in almost
every project. What happens is that when this evaluation has come to the
conclusion that a certain project can't be used, we don't put any effort
into actually making code changes. What Cris did, on the other hand, is
to devote time to give feedback even though OJB didn't pass their
criterias. I personally think this is great, and I'm glad to see the
community around OJB discussing this in a polite and constructive
manner. This is to me a sign of OJB getting a little closer to its goals
of becoming *the* framework to use.

Needless to say, we use cocoon and OJB for almost every project we
enter, suggesting and patching if needed. This is what it's all about,
working togehter. But again, if you don't use it, you don't have an
incentive to patch it.

Regards,

Per-Olof Norén
Curalia AB