db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <mccallis...@forthillcompany.com>
Subject Re: ApacheCon
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 20:42:34 GMT
I would think some interesting things to show off might be:
	custom caching (maybe the OSCache distributed cache that was just
contributed)
	custom row-readers doing weird things
	the different lock levels, optimistic/pessimistic transactions, etc
(especially if you bring in the OTM)
	Nested properties when mapping classes
	show off the autogeneration of classes and mapping stuff Thomas
recently wrote up (demo it rather)
	Introduce the OTM and show it off

One of OJB's biggest points is how amazingly flexible it is. This is
the best thing to try to convey, I believe. You can do some absurd
things (just look at the
org.apache.ojb.broker.metadata.fieldaccess.PersistentFieldAutoProxyImpl
for an example of just how absurd the flexibility can get -- but don't
laugh too hard, I use it ;-)

For instance, implementing a new query mechanism on top of the PB or
OTM is pretty simple - Criteria lends itself nicely to being set up by
a Visitor walking a parse-tree. Slapping together an alternate query
language might be fun (an HQL interpreter would cause an interesting
ruckus). Another thing might be using a custom row-reader to maintain
relations for a hypothetical application where some user data (name,
password, login name, etc) is in an LDAP and application-level user
data is in an RDBMS. Or, make the Struts people smile by persisting
their DynaBean Action instances directly to the database and using the
Struts config file as the source for the metadata mapping via munging
the metadata at runtime (assuming 1-1 attribute-field spelling
matching, etc).  These three are probably outside the scope of a
conference session though =/

-Brian