db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <mccallis...@forthillcompany.com>
Subject Re: Mapping Tutorial Take 1
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:37:42 GMT
> 1. with the latest cvs head the jdbc-type attribute is now optional.
> If no type is specified, OJB tries to deduce a proper type from the
> Java type of the persistent field.

Excellent, I had thought it should be able to do this. It will be in
for 1.0 I presume?

> 2. I'd prefer to see some more detail on the overall structure of the
> repository.xml and the include mechanism. (As I did it in the
> tutorial1.html). But maybe you approach is better as it liberates the
> user from too much knowledge about internal things?

I agree completely that the repository.xml needs a thorough explanation
- I also think that the explanation should be orthogonal to using the
various API's however.

> 3. In the advanced topics section we should also mention mapping of
> inheritance hierarchies and polymorphism and link to tutorial3.

Good call, will do.

> The next question I have is where to place your tutorials. I think
> both tutorials together are a good replacement of my initial
> tutorial1.html.
>
> The only problem is that tutorial2 and 4 still rely on the
> presentation of the use cases from tutorial1. So this stuff must be
> moved to tutorial2, or tut2 and tut4 have to be rewritten too.
> What do you think?

Replacing tutorial2 is planned, and replacing tutorial1 also requires
replacing tutorial4. Making use of JDO requires a lot more information
than tutorial4 actually gives, however. I am not sure the best way to
tackle this, so am still thinking about it. There is a lot of gray area
around the OJB+JDORI solution (.jdo vs repository.xml not being the
least an xslt to generate .jdo's from the repository.xml might not be a
bad idea down the line -- assuming OJB will pull metadata from either
source eventually).

-Brian