db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From oliver.m...@ppi.de
Subject performance: surpress m:n collection deletion on insert
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2003 14:15:43 GMT
Hello,

I have found and fixed a performance issue.

Suppose you have a pc class A with a collection field
with itemClass B, and supose that collection is mapped to an
indirection table A_B.

If you insert a fresh A instance with a null collection,
then this results in one INSERT statement for the A
table and one DELETE statement for the indirection table A_B.

The latter should usually be superflous, since there should
not be any entries in the indirection table.  If there are
ones, this is probably an error.

In my proposed fix, I surpress the deleteMtoNImplementor() call
inside storeCollections().

If you consider this change of behaviour risky, then I would
like to propose to add a configuartion parameter that allows
to force the old behaviour.

In my model, the proposed fix results in a significant
performance improvement because the class A has severall
collection fields which are mostly null.

If you have another idea how to surpess the superflous calls,
I would like to know.

What do you think?

Olli
--