db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <mccallis...@forthillcompany.com>
Subject Re: JDO Enhancer Idea from JBoss
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:22:21 GMT
I agree something like this would rock, but without having access to
pre-loaded bytecode you have to use some tricks that I don't think Java
actually supports (hmm, we could port all of J2EE to Ruby...) such as
wrapping a particular instance in a runtime subclass of itself in situ
(easy in Ruby, impossible in Java).

One thing that keeps coming to mind is how Aspect-ish JDO is, how
bytecode enhancement is the preferred means of implementing it, and
Aspectwerkz, ( http://aspectwerkz.codehaus.org/ ) an aspect tool that
works via bytecode enhancement, as compared to AspectJ which is
sourcecode enhancement. It might be an easy way to build a bytecode
enhancer, though as Aspectwerkz is LGPL, we wouldn't be able to
actually use it to make an official bytecode enhancer for OJB
(unfortunately).

Will think about how to do runtime bytecode enhancement, but without
control over the classloader, I don't think it can be done.

-Brian