db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mahler <thm...@web.de>
Subject Re: Mapping Tutorial Take 1
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:25:20 GMT
Hi Brian,

Brian McCallister wrote:
> Any reviews, comments, etc on the initial draft of the mapping tutorial
> are appreciated:
>
> http://fischer.skife.org/ojb/mapping-tutorial.html
>
> I do not have as much confidence in this as I do in the pb-tutorial
>
> ( which current version is at...
> http://fischer.skife.org/ojb/pb-tutorial.html -- It is only one typo and
> a link added from the cvs version)
>
> Thank you in advance! I am *not* confident that the one I just posted is
> the best approach, it reads a bit to dry (okay, so O/R mapping metadata
> isn't exactly exciting most of the time, but reading it should be quick
> and easy if it is simple, and this is fairly simple.

I like both your tutorials, the pb-tutorial and the mapping-tutorial as
well.

I've only some remarks to the mapping tutorial:

1. with the latest cvs head the jdbc-type attribute is now optional. If
no type is specified, OJB tries to deduce a proper type from the Java
type of the persistent field.

2. I'd prefer to see some more detail on the overall structure of the
repository.xml and the include mechanism. (As I did it in the
tutorial1.html). But maybe you approach is better as it liberates the
user from too much knowledge about internal things?

3. In the advanced topics section we should also mention mapping of
inheritance hierarchies and polymorphism and link to tutorial3.

The next question I have is where to place your tutorials. I think both
tutorials together are a good replacement of my initial tutorial1.html.

The only problem is that tutorial2 and 4 still rely on the presentation
of the use cases from tutorial1. So this stuff must be moved to
tutorial2, or tut2 and tut4 have to be rewritten too.
What do you think?

cheers,
Thomas