db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From "Jim Shingler" <sh...@iwaynet.net>
Subject RE: First Stab at PB Tutorial Refactoring
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:29:41 GMT
2 Cents for what it is worth.

Primitive times.  Good Catch.  Make sure examples don't show bad style.

Exception handling.  Again good Idea.  As long as it doesn't overload
the section.  Should it be a separate topic?

-----Original Message-----
From: Armin Waibel [mailto:armin@code-au-lait.de]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 3:54 PM
To: OJB Developers List
Subject: Re: First Stab at PB Tutorial Refactoring

Hi Brain,

> Found some time this week to start reworking on the PB Tutorial per a
> request from Armin.
>
> My thought is to focus very tightly on using the API, and pull out the

> "Intro to Mapping" part into a separate tutorial, thereby allowing the

> PB tutorial to really just look at the PB API. Additionally, I want to

> make the tutorials *not* depend on each other. Someone looking at how
> to use the ODMG API shouldn't need (though they probably should
anyway)
> need to read through the PB API tutorial to make sense of the ODMG API

> tutorial.

+1

> Anyway...
>
> A draft is up at http://fischer.skife.org/ojb/pb-tutorial.html
>
> This tutorial is a draft, and still needs:
> testing (code hasn't been run, but it parses correctly)
> links to advanced topics and javadocs for things referenced
> (drill-down capability) ???
>
> Right now tutorial1 serves as a general introduction to OJB -- this
> tutorial does not, it is just an introduction to the PB, so a new "go
> here first" document with the OJB intro given in tutorial1 needs to be

> put together.

+1

> As this will likely contain the first look at OJB code many people
will
> see it needs to be pretty strong, so lots of feedback is appreciated.

Read your (so-called - think it's near perfect) draft.
Till this day I don't realize how easy to use PB-api is ;-)

ok, two things to annotate:

- Should we use primitive types (particularly as PK) in sample class?
(e.g. foreign-key/null/0 problem)

- What about exception handling? Would exception
handling kill simplicity of the example?

public static void storeProduct(Product product)
    {
        PersistenceBroker broker =
PersistenceBrokerFactory.defaultPersistenceBroker();
        try
       {
          broker.store(product);
        }