db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From "Armin Waibel" <ar...@code-au-lait.de>
Subject Re: cache refactoring
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:03:41 GMT
Hi,

considering we are in rc4 why not allow additional ObjectCache
declaration in repository file instead of a fundamental change?
If OJB can not find cache info in repository file the cache
implementation defined in OJB.properties is used.
Or would this be configuration overkill?

> cache configuration could be done via XML rather than the flat, and
> limiting, configuration in the properties file.

good argument for moving ObjectCache declaration from OJB.properties
to repository.

> Cache settings could exist as a global setting like the jdbc
descriptor,
> and could be over-ridden in a specific class if needed.
>
> something like
>
> <default-object-cache
> cache-class="some class"
> size-limit="10" | time-limit="20">
> </default-object-cache>

I agree with you in introduce a new element, why not
call it only 'object-cache'?
This element can be declared
- repository root -> as a global setting
- within jdbc-connection-descriptor -> as a per database setting
- within class-descriptor -> as per class setting

all implementation specific properties passed
by using custom-attributes (same way used in sequence-manager
element) instead declaring fixed attributes in object-cache element,
because custom-attributes more flexible.
What do you think?

hmm, differing from what I said above
+1 for moving cache completely to repository

regards,
Armin