db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Mahler Thomas <thomas.mah...@itellium.com>
Subject RE: OJB + JDORI
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:32:33 GMT
Hi Brian,

> There is information in Tutorial 4 about setting up JDORI +
> OJB for the
> tutorials, but based on the recent volume of email asking
> about OJB and
> JDO I think it might be good to split out the documentation
> on setting
> up OJB to work with JDORI into its own page. A tutorial on how to use
> it isn't immediately clear as the place to look for how to set it up.

Mhh, I don't know if splitting up the page would be of any help.
users that are too lazy to read the JDO tutorial also will be reluctant to
read the separated setup instructions :-(

> As the OJB + JDORI is a temporary solution, is *not* allowable for
> commercial development without contacting Sun for permission (anyone
> officially affiliated with OJB willing to nudge them about licensing
> changes so that it can be officially allowable?),

contacting Craig Russel on this issue is already on my todo list.

> and is not
> generally
> pushed on the lists as a "good" solution I figured I better ask
> opinions on making it easier for people to do before I
> started spewing
> words into xml.

I have no objections to provide a more detailed documentation on OJB/JDO
even if it's only a temporary solution. But personally I won't find the time
to do it ...

> JDO is getting a lot of press lately, is a pretty nice spec
> (imho) and
> is going to probably more important to people than ODMG in
> the future,
> so having a workable solution sooner rather than later might
> be a good
> idea

Sure !

> - especially as OJB has a workable solution right now
> (but no one
> can figure it out apparently).

If you contribute some docu I'll be happy to integrate it!

cheers,
Thomas