db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <mccallis...@forthillcompany.com>
Subject PersistentField Problems
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:29:48 GMT
Are there any plans or thoughts on changing the PersistentField
mechanism to be on a per-class basis?

I ask because I need to access some classes (and different fields
within those classes, but am willing to forego that one and make people
do it all one way or the other on a per-class basis at least) using the
default (private field), and some via BeanUtils access to DynaBean
properties (which isn't possible right now under any of the
PersistentField implementations) and yet more under standard JavaBean
accessors.

I am thinking of writing a staged PersistentField implementation that
attempts to use default access, then goes to a BeanUtils based
retrieval (which will grab JavaBeans properties or DynaBean
properties). This feels a lot like a hack (especially if you cache the
results of what worked for what class type to avoid the switch on the
exception that will get thrown (ick)) because what it is really doing
is tracking on a per-class basis how it needs to get the properties.
The "right" feeling way to do it is to allow specification for the
class instead of for the entirety of OJB in the OJB.properties.

-Brian