db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Raghuram Rajah <raghuram.ra...@s1.com>
Subject RE: OJB JDO
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 16:46:59 GMT

From: "Armin Waibel" <armin.waibel@code-au-lait.de>
To: "Raghuram Rajah" <rraghuram@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [OJB] PB caching
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:10:28 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Raghuram Rajah" <rraghuram@hotmail.com>
To: <armin@code-au-lait.de>
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 5:03 AM

> Hi Armin,
>
> I think what you mention is exactly what OTM is doing. Since, OTM is
not
> going too far with its API, I suggest we integrate the OTM solution
into the
> 1.0 pb-caching directly instead of using the alternate OTM API.

This was my thought too.

> This would
> give PB tx-aware/isolation-aware caching.

OK, when we use PB-caching as starting point for OTM services
integration, what have I to do?
I would favour a step by step integration of the OTM services if
possible,
because it's easier to find bugs and OJB will always be stable (and it's
easier for me to understand ;-)).

The otm.cache.GlobalCache class use the locking service
to decide which ObjectCopyStrategy should be used.
The current broker.cache.ObjectCache methods don't have
a parameter 'lockHeld'. In that case always copies of objects
were used in the global cache - right?
To allow users to implement their own caching implementation
we should make LocalObjectCache(RequestContext) and
GlobalObjectCache pluggable. Should we add the additional
methods
* public Object lookup (Identity oid, int lockHeld)
* public void cache (Identity oid, Object obj, int lockHeld)
to ObjectCache Interface, or should we use two Interfaces
one for LocalCaches, one for GlobalCaches?

Locally I moved the copy-package to ...broker.copy and add
methods to ClassDescriptor to support a per class copy strategy.

Could you tell me something more about how you will
integrate the OTM core stuff in the PB-api (I will try my best
to understand your comments, but be patient ;-))?

regards,
Armin

> It would also provide for support
> for swizzling, JCA-integration, etc. Potentially, we could introduce
> strategies to uniquing as well, at a later date.
>
> The current design of OTM is as follows,
>
>   OTM-API
>     ---> PB
>     --->(through cache) ObjectAdapter
>     ---> TransactionContext [the meat of OTM, managing
caching/swizzling