db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mahler <thm...@web.de>
Subject Re: I'm new here.
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 06:33:54 GMT
Hi Jeffrey,

Jeffrey Sheldon wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am writing this message because I am interested in contributing to
> the development of OJB.  Specifically I am very excited about the JDO
> compatibility scheduled for release 2.0 and would like to contribute
> to the development of the JDO implementation.  I was unable to find
> information on how I could contribute on the OJB web, but then maybe
> I just looked over it.

All help is welcome! http://jakarta.apache.org/site/roles.html explains
how you can get involved with the developer team. you start
contributing. The committers check in your code. If we see that you are
contributing regularly you will nominated as a committer after some
time, and then you also have committer status.

> By way of introduction/background I am a Java developer currently
> working in Research and Development at Datavantage Corporation, a
> wholly owned subsidiary of MICROS, Inc.  I use JDO every day,
> although I am currently forced to work with a commercial
> implementation, due to the lack of viable open source JDO solutions
> currently available.

Did you play around with our existing JDORI plugin? It allows to use
SUNs JDO reference implementation and to plug in OJB as the backend and
so to have a full JDO O/R mapping tool?
It's documented here: http://db.apache.org/ojb/tutorial4.html.

> Please let me know how I may contribute, or if you require any
> additional information.  I am very impressed by what I have seen so
> far from this project and would be honored to be a part of it.

We have a proposal how to do the JDO implementation:
http://db.apache.org/ojb/jdo-proposal.html. It's a bit outdated (we
already have the working prototype for instance).
But the overall picture is still valid.

It would be good to review this document and to start a discussion on it.
This discussion can be done on this list, or we could also consider to
start using the wiki pages
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?OJBProjectPages for this.

welcome,
Thomas