db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <lean...@ibnetwork.com.br>
Subject Re: OJB 2.0
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 17:35:50 GMT
On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 12:44, Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz wrote:
> Hi all. I'd like to start a discussion about ojb 2.0
> features/architecture needed for OJB evolution and acceptance by users
> and other developers.
>
> 1 - Component model
>
> One of the things I *really* think OJB should use is a component model
> (see http://avalon.apache.org). OJB should be assembled from components
> developed and tested individuality. The main components are already
> defined in OJB.properties, like SequenceManager and
> PersistenceBrokerImpl. This approach enables a a higher level of reuse,
> maintainability and quality.
>
> 2 - Object-to-Table mappings.
>
> AFAIK, as it's written today, OJB doesn't support some types of mapping
> that should be considered depending on the application type
> (please see http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/keller97mapping.html )
>
> Coupled with the use of components, OJB could provide different
> strategies for Object-to-Table mapping !
>
> 3 - API implementations
>
> ODMG, JDO, etc, etc. You decide ! I use only PB.
>
> 4 - JMX
>
> If OJB components were managed externally using JMX they could be used
> OTS into applications using JMX. There is no point in using another
> management infrastructure or not beeing part of one !
>
> Please add more features/architecture modifications !

5 - Improved documentation

Both, user and developer documentation should be improved.

I think its a good idea to choose a case tool to generate some diagrams
for developer and user documentation,

6 - Build process

Can we adopt maven and remove all jars from $CVSREPO/lib ?

--
Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz
IT - Inter Business Tecnologia e Servicos (IB)