db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <lean...@ibnetwork.com.br>
Subject OJB 2.0
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 15:44:15 GMT
Hi all. I'd like to start a discussion about ojb 2.0
features/architecture needed for OJB evolution and acceptance by users
and other developers.

1 - Component model

One of the things I *really* think OJB should use is a component model
(see http://avalon.apache.org). OJB should be assembled from components
developed and tested individuality. The main components are already
defined in OJB.properties, like SequenceManager and
PersistenceBrokerImpl. This approach enables a a higher level of reuse,
maintainability and quality.

2 - Object-to-Table mappings.

AFAIK, as it's written today, OJB doesn't support some types of mapping
that should be considered depending on the application type
(please see http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/keller97mapping.html )

Coupled with the use of components, OJB could provide different
strategies for Object-to-Table mapping !

3 - API implementations

ODMG, JDO, etc, etc. You decide ! I use only PB.

4 - JMX

If OJB components were managed externally using JMX they could be used
OTS into applications using JMX. There is no point in using another
management infrastructure or not beeing part of one !

Please add more features/architecture modifications !

--
Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz
IT - Inter Business Tecnologia e Servicos (IB)