db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From David.Cor...@equifax.com
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge of kernel packages
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:32:35 GMT

I understand.  I never saw your posts on the subject personally.  But I
still stand by my statement in that I think people expect it, which is why
they place magical value on 1.0 as a release point.

David

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Thomas Mahler   |
|         |           <thma32@web.de> |
|         |           Sent by:        |
|         |           thma32@web.de   |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           04/17/2003 02:07|
|         |           AM              |
|         |           Please respond  |
|         |           to "OJB         |
|         |           Developers List"|
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->

  |        To:      OJB Developers List <ojb-dev@db.apache.org>
                                                                 |
  |        cc:
                                                           |
  |        Subject: Re: [VOTE] merge of kernel packages

Hi again David,

David.Corbin@equifax.com wrote:
> The "bizarre significance" in 1.0, is the "implied promise" that you will
> branch the code, and provide bug fixes in the 1.0 branch, without
providing
> new features.   In general, this will produce a 1.0.x that will become
> truly stable, and nervous people get less nervous.

I see!
But clearly, there was never such a promise. I stated several times
explicitely that we won't have the resources to branch the code.

When asked to have a proper branching after 1.0 I always answered:
I see where you are coming from. Of course it's a good thing to have a
bug fix only branch.

BUT: Who is going to to all the merging work? The OJB commiters are busy
with helping users on the list to such an amount that we do not find
enough time for coding. When should we do additional sourcecode management.

I also said that I won't object if someone takes the responsibility to
maintain sourcecode management, but personally I'm not going to do it.

It's very easy to claim that the OJB crew must do (or is believed to
give an implicit promise to do) "X". But it's quite a different thing to
really do "X".

cheers,
Thomas