db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From "Florian Bruckner \(apache.org\)" <florianbruck...@apache.org>
Subject Mapping workbench, finally
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:24:58 GMT
Hi,

I am crossposting this intentionally to users AND dev-list as I hope I can
get some more attention for this message. This is just meant to start the
discussion, please let us discuss these matters on the dev list.

Recently a some graphical tools popped up that all claim to solve specific
problems concerning repository mappings. It is good to see that OJB has a
growing user base and that there is increasing willingness to contribute to
the success of OJB. On the other hand it makes me somewhat sad that these
effort are all but coordinated. For example there is a plugin for eclipse
that is based on reversedb (see below), Mathias undoubtedly put in a lot of
effort to fix bugs and make the classes work for his purpose. But neither
have any bugs ever been discussed on any public mailing list nor have the
bugfixes made it back to the codebase of reversedb. The result is lost
effort on both sides and software that is less functional than it could be.

OJB currently has (and has had for a long time now) two flavours of a
mapping workbench. Reversedb is a simple (slow and buggy) application to
read a database schema and generate XML and java classes. Reversedb2 is a
rough prototype for a mapping workbench with a better design than reversedb.
Both applications suffer from the fact that design and implementation have
been made by a single person (me). The design is possibly even broken in a
way that makes it impossible to implement certain requirements.

I understand that it is a problem for a lot of people to contribute to a
piece of software where they have not been able to contribute during the
design phase and when they think they could have done better. Let's throw
away all we have and start over again.

This email should be seen as a call for a discussion. Let's discuss what the
requirements to a mapping workbench are, let's discuss the goals and how
these goals can be achieved, let's discuss who can take which role in such
an effort, let's discuss a design and let's make the best mapping tool
possible. And let's combine our efforts.

regards,

Florian