db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mahler <thm...@web.de>
Subject Re: repository xml and DTDs
Date Sat, 26 Apr 2003 08:44:11 GMT
Hi James,

James Holmes wrote:
> I'm working on OJB Console, a tool similar to Struts Console, that should be
> ready in the next week or so.  However, I'm running into problems with the
> way the repository xml file is broken up.  The problem I'm having is that
> the file is broken into pieces and then "loaded" into the mail file with
> ENTITY declarations.
>
> OJB Console needs each XML file to have a DOCTYPE so that the file can be:
>
> 1.) recognized (meaning distinguished from other XML files)
> 2.) validated

Mhh, The OJB file separation is not mandatory. splitting the file in to
more digestable pieces is just an idea to keep it maintainable for humans.

So it won't be a problem if you keep things simple and generate it all
into one file.

Why is it necessary to handle the files separately? In OJB we are just
validating repository.xml against repository.dtd and the loading of the
subordinate files is done transparently by the xml include mechanism.

> Any ideas for solving this problem.  I realize there has been a precedent
> set to break up the large monolithic file into smaller manageable chunks.
> Perhaps each file could specity a DOCTYPE and OJB could load mulitple
> smaller files and instead of loading one file that sources in the others?

As we want to have a stable 1.0 release out soon, I'd prefer to not
change the existing format.

I propose to simply work with one monolithic file for the time being.

cheerio,
Thomas