db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From "James Holmes" <ja...@jamesholmes.com>
Subject Re: repository xml and DTDs
Date Sat, 26 Apr 2003 14:16:40 GMT
Thomas,

Thanks for your response.

The idea for OJB Console is that it will be able to create and edit
repository.xml files.  Certainly when creating new files it could break them
into the smaller pieces the way the OJB website's example shows.  However,
the problem comes in when editing a file that is broken up.  An XML parser
can read in that file and see it as one, but it won't be intelligent enough
to write out the changes into separate files.  Does that make sense?

So basically this means that in order to use OJB console users would have to
have one big xml file with all config info in it.  Or we could update the
OJB code to be able to accept multiple smaller files.  I realize you're
close to a release and hope we can figure out some solution here.

I'm a committer on the Struts project and could help with this.  I can
supply patches if it's something you will entertain.

Also, another thing I'd like to request (ask very nicely) is to have you (or
another committer) publish the repository DTD at an official address on the
OJB website and to create an official repository file DOCTYPE declaration.

For example Struts has its DTD at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/dtds/struts-config_1_1.dtd

so the DOCTYPE in Struts config files looks like:

<!DOCTYPE struts-config PUBLIC
       "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration 1.1//EN"
       "http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/dtds/struts-config_1_1.dtd">

For OJB this could be something like:

http://db.apache.org/ojb/dtds/repository.dtd

and:

<!DOCTYPE struts-config PUBLIC
       "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD OJB Repository//EN"
       "http://db.apache.org/ojb/dtds/repository.dtd">

What do you think?  This would be a huge help for me and likely other tools
developers. This would also be similar to the way other frameworks, etc.
post their DTDs (ie. web.xml for WAR files).

Having an official DOCTYPE declaration at the top of the config files allows
tools like OJB console to distinguish the OJB xml file from others.  This is
especially helpful when plugging an OJB tool into an IDE.  Most IDEs have a
mechanism to recognize certain files and make special options available to
the file.  For instance, OJB console will recognize OJB xml files in
Netbeans and allow a user to right click on the file and open it inside of
OJB console.  The way that xml files are recognized is by their DOCTYPE.
For a good example of this you can check out Struts Console
(http://www.jamesholmes.com/struts/).  If you just want to see how this
works you can check out the screen shots section of my website and you'll
see how the IDE plugins work conceptually.

Your attention and help on this very much appreciated.  I think you'll find
that OJB console will be a huge boon to the OJB project.  I know that Struts
Console has really added alot of value to the Struts project.

Thanks,

James