db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Anthony Kong <anthony.k...@ufjia.com>
Subject RE: reverse db tools status
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:04:32 GMT
Hi, Jamie,

When I re-read your email, I believe in my last reply I have misunderstood
what you actually want to say in regard to conversion of the oracle type to
JDBC type. I think I were in a "sleep mode" :-)

Nonetheless, we definitely have to find some way to address difference among
database in a more flexible way, otherwise one's fix may break other's
cases.

Regards,

Anthony

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamie Burns [mailto:jamie_r_burns@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 7:38 AM
To: OJB Developers List
Subject: Re: reverse db tools status

> Unfortunateyl reversedb doesn't work that well, there are problems with
> mysql, mssql and postgres and reading a schema from oracle is really slow.

I have had a number of problems matching Oracle types to JDBC types and Java
types. I think the static Utilities class should be replaced with an adapter
that returns the correct mappings for the database based on the underlying
database system. We could either use the getDatabaseXXX() methods of
DatabaseMetaData to choose the best adapter or put the onus on the user to
choose one - perhaps a list of available ones could be put into
OJB.properties. If we went with an adapter it would implement a simple
interface like