db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mahler <t...@apache.org>
Subject Shall we drop c/s mode?
Date Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:38:11 GMT
Hi all,

I'd like to have a decision how to proceed with the client server mode.
It has not been properly maintained since the 0.9.7 release and a lot of
junit tests fail.
It won't be impossible to fix it, but still a lot of work.

But before we start to repair it I'd like to discuss if there is a
really a "business need" for c/s mode.

The original idea was to show that OJB is scalable in itself. But I
doubt if this is really a requirement.
If there is a scalibity issue in an application it will be in most cases
in the web- or EJB-tier. If an Application is clustered accross multiple
J2EE containers it's quite easy to use OJB in singlevm mode and let it
share the clustering.

If the DB is the bottleneck you can use DB clustering. So I don't see a
real demand for OJB clustering in this context.

The only possible usecase I see for C/S is:
If a client app should not use a JDBC driver but still be able to access
a DB. In this case OJB c/s mode could be a solution.
But is this a scenario we have to cover?

The C/S mode also has some disadvantages:
- It is really slow (at least 10 times slower than singlevm mode!)
- it produces extra maintenance costs
- it is a burden to integrate it into the junit testruns (takes 20
Minutes or so...)
- Users are often confused about C/S mode. Some users think that it
could be a replacement for an app server...

Am I missing something fundamental? Do we still need c/s for some reason?

Of course we should also ask the users before we drop this feature.

What do you say?

cheers,
Thomas