db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [peter@realityforge.org: Re: Redistribution of javax activation, mail and transaction]]
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 06:50:24 GMT
On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:30, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Off hand do you know if it's something that I can reimplement without
> any legal hassles?

activation/mail weren't last time I checked and I can't recall either of them
going onto the list of "blessed" JSRs that are allowed to be reimplemented.
You may be able to poke Geir to see if he could get them added :) I believe
JMX is also a no-no but both tomcat and avalon link against MX4J ... so if
you could add jmx to the list when talk to Geir that would be great ;)

I know nothing about transaction ... but again Tomcat has been using a
reimplementation of that for a long time so if it was illegal ... well ... ;)

Also recall that Apache wrote and distributed the jaxp stuff for years in
violation of the JSR licenses ... many Sun employees were actually involved
in creating the violations ;) ... so I am not sure how worried Sun is about
this .. but I  guess it is better to be safe than sorry.

> Or could we have a click-through license handler?

That should be doable - in particular I think it handles the nasty clause

"only distribute the Software subject to a license agreement that protects
Sun's interests consistent with the terms contained in this Agreement"

Then again - IANAL but it *seems* to me that a popup requiring user to agree
to license should be acceptable.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
|    "the mother of idiots is always pregnant."      |