db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Raghuram Rajah <raghuram.ra...@s1.com>
Subject RE: [JDO] How to proceed with our JDO implementation
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 20:02:17 GMT
Hi Thomas,

The timing of this is impeccable. I was the initial author of the OTM
classes in the repository today. I had fallen cold since then, got pulled
away into some work-related travel. I was talking to Matt Baird, just
yesterday, about me taking ownership of OTM again and getting it completed.
Since, I have a couple of weeks of vacation that I had to positively take
before the end of this year, I thought I will use the time to get OTM
off-the-ground. Between Matt, me and possibly Oleg we could get OTM to a
reasonable state by the end of this year. We can further create a quick JDO
wrapper on top of that.

Cheers,
Raghu.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mahler Thomas [mailto:thomas.mahler@itellium.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 7:21 AM
To: OJB Developers List
Subject: [JDO] How to proceed with our JDO implementation

Hi all,

I'd like to discuss our next steps towards JDO a bit.

As an immediate reaction to Craig Russels complaint I removed the
existing JDO implementation under org.apache.ojb.jdo completely.

IMO we should not start to place any code in that package before we have a
clear idea how to proceed.

I propose to not reuse any of the existing code for three reasons:
1. After this copyright issue there remains a "bad smell" with code that I'd
like to avoid.
2. The existing code does not implement any of the crucial JDO features:
  - JDOQL
  - Object level transactions
  - Instance Lifecycle
  - proper handling of enhanced instances
3. It does not contain any hints how to build a OTM based JDO implementation

To provide OJB users with a JDO implementation I propose to
1. start with my OjbStore plugin to the JDORI (see code in src/jdori). Users
simply  have to download the jdori.jar from Sun to use a full JDO O/R
Implementation!
Of course we have to add some setup documentation to tutorial4 to get users
started.

2. Build a full JDO implementation based on the OTM layer, as layed out in
my original design proposal
(http://jakarta.apache.org/ojb/jdo-proposal.html). As users can already use
the JDORI/OjbStore solution there is no need to hurry to get this done.

What do you think?

Thomas