db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Mahler <t...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OJB Docs
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 07:33:56 GMT
Hi again Brian,

Brian McCallister wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 16:50, Thomas Mahler wrote:
>
>>I did write most of the existing OJB docs. It took me weeks, so I'm a
>>bit confused to here that there is not sufficient documentation avaible.
>>I don't say it's perfect. But alone tutorial3.html prints out as 40 pages...
>

> Sorry if I came across as denegrating your work, my feelings are
> anything but that!

No problem. I just was not sure you did find the existing stuff.

> The configuration and mapping information is thorough
> and clear - getting to the point where you can actually use it is a bit
> less clear.

+1
I'd be happy to see improvements here! It would also be good to see some
  simple cookbook style articles.
It would also be important to write stuff from a user (or even better a
newcomer perspsective). This is extremely difficult for me, as I know
OJB already ;-)
So any help in this area would be appreciated.

> There are some things that are pretty difficult to work out
> -- like what exact the .jdo files contain. ( "TODO: Put information
> about the .jdo files") ;-)

+1

> I am quite happy digging and playing, but the goal of good docs is to
> prevent the head scratching parts for people who don't have time to dig
> and scratch.

+1 That's why it is a good idea to write down your experiences and
findings of this learning process to help others. This is something I
cannot do as mentioned above.

> Besides all that, I cannot help seing the advertisement for a documentor
> for the JDO effort, which is what drew me to OJB in the first place.
> getting up to speed on the architecture would take enough time for you
> to finish it according to Matt Baird, so I figure I can at least
> contribute while learning.

Yes, that would be a big help!

> My apologies for coming across poorly!

No problem! Please excuse my yesterday rantings. (I'm just allergic to
"OJB lacks documentation" statements.)
You are most welcome to help on documentation and all other things as well.

cheers,
Thomas