db-ojb-dev mailing list archives

From "J. Russell Smyth" <drf...@cox.net>
Subject Re: [JDO] How to proceed with our JDO implementation
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 18:59:31 GMT
I'm not a "voting member" but here is my input anyway...
On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 05:21, Mahler Thomas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to discuss our next steps towards JDO a bit.
>
> As an immediate reaction to Craig Russels complaint I removed the
> existing JDO implementation under org.apache.ojb.jdo completely.

+1 - no need to get tied up in a legal mess!

> IMO we should not start to place any code in that package before we have a
> clear idea how to proceed.
>
> I propose to not reuse any of the existing code for three reasons:
> 1. After this copyright issue there remains a "bad smell" with code that I'd
> like to avoid.

+1

> 1. start with my OjbStore plugin to the JDORI (see code in src/jdori). Users

-1 jdori is only available under the SCSL, which will
a - make it unavaliable for commercial use
b - "taint" developers who view this code. Sun's SCSL is almost as bad
as M$ Shared Source License. If someone can provide some form of
documentation that discredits this view I would appreciate it.

> 2. Build a full JDO implementation based on the OTM layer, as layed out in
> my original design proposal

+1

> (http://jakarta.apache.org/ojb/jdo-proposal.html). As users can already use
> the JDORI/OjbStore solution there is no need to hurry to get this done.

-1 there is still a "reason to hurry", for the reasons I set forth for
my -1 for the JDORI impl at all.

please dont take this as me "demanding" the JDO impl to be done quickly
- I am just presenting a counter view to Thomas's statement!